Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A Big Sacrifice: Inter-Country Adoption for Canadians Living Abroad

I had a really tough day today...
Pablo and I share the dream of living abroad for a little while. We have wanted this for years, and worked for it to happen. I have made my professional decisions based on this long-term project.
We want to eventually come back to Canada, for our kids to be close to our families.

Well, today, at work, I had an opportunity to apply for a job in Beijing, China. And a pretty good one, at that! I have been waiting for this opportunity for YEARS!
What a timing! Just when our hearts are on their way to Sri Lanka!

I looked at all options, trying to make both projects happen at once. It's allowed, for Alberta Residents Temporarily Living Abroad, to adopt internationally, whether they live in their child's country of origin or any other country. However, international adoption is a very complex legal process. Adding an extra country means adding a whole new dimension of complexity! Even then, complexity does not scare us... But to be considered as an Alberta Resident Temporarily Living Abroad, you need to prove that:

  • You used to live in Alberta (which would not be a problem for us)
  • You still own a property in Alberta (again, that would have worked for us: my employer would have paid for accommodation in China, allowing us to keep our home)
  • You plan on coming back to Alberta within a year or two (proved by a letter from your employer)
... but the posting was for 3 to 4 years. 
I really don't think I could have gotten that status, not until a few years at least. So our adoption really would not be possible if I accepted a job in China. 
So it came down to deciding what our priority was: adopting our cinnamon baby, or fulfilling our dream of living in a new country. 
Of course, there is no question there! We already love that child, even without knowing anything about him (or her)!

I decided to trust that life will take us where we should be. I'm sure more awesome opportunities will come my way, when the right time comes. If I am patient, I will have both my baby and my international career. And  those new opportunities will be better than the one I just let go of...

I guess we are now real parents: we just did our first big sacrifice for our kid :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers